Thursday, November 08, 2007

I've been tagged

So the tag is about two weeks old now. And I am sorry Phish, but I did have a lot of work.

Now about the Meme of a writer. What does it take for me to get hooked? What does it take me for drop my jaw and say to myself, "Oh fuck"? I think it's all subjective. In fact, I am no one to write an objective piece on what it takes to be a good writer. So I am not going to break this up into points. I am going to let stream of conscienceness take over. Sometimes, the best writing even comes from there. The Catcher in the Rye is one great example.

And so when I say subjectivity, I mean that one's choice may depend on a lot of things. Mood. Social status. Social stigma. Upbringing. Sad/happy childhood/adulthood experiences. A lot of things. And so while some may swear by Kafka's pain, others might think he is overrated. Some might kill you alive if you told them that Shakespeare can't write and others might sink into an existential angst, if you so much as thought, Who is Godot? Some may worship Rushdie (shoot 'em) other's may think Arundhati Roy is god's gift to literature (shoot 'em over and over again. Now repeat.)

So while we may have our own little quirks, I think a variety of writers exist because people's choices are eclectic. They depend on each experience. So an author needs to relate. Kafka and Dostoevsky will elude you, if you don't know what pain is. It's the same way Douglas Adams will seem a bit of a stretch to you if you haven't ever thought of aping Darth Vader.

Holden Caulfield does not appeal to every man. And to even fewer women. Get my drift. So I really think an author is as good as his audience. Explain to me why is that we all have a varied taste of books. Why is it that we share our books and only accept people with similar interests into our social circle?

This may not be the best piece of writing. But the fact is that you read it. You read it, cause I am part of your social circle. And you want to know what I think. It makes for interesting reading to you, because you know me. If you don't know me, then leave me a comment and tell me what you think.

So who follows this one?

Afrin
Anumita
Menopausal Ballerina
Rahul

9 Comments:

Blogger phish said...

finally two weeks down. but you have managed to come up with an original enough piece.

though the meme is about the strengths of a writer, and i dont think just being a part of his/her social circle is reason enough.

it is enough for me to pick it up maybe. but that's about all it can achieve. like a good reference at a job interview.

good job though, though slightly excluding. also learn to trackback properly. the link on phish should be:

http://phishfish.blogspot.com/2007/10/tagged-tail-of-words.html

09 November, 2007 22:48  
Blogger Vedashree Khambete-Sharma said...

Nice one. Good to see you post again.

13 November, 2007 00:14  
Blogger Mukta Raut said...

Hi,

Came here through Anumita's blog. And would you mind if I tagged myself on this? (No-one really tags me.) I absolutely loved Catcher in the Rye, though. There's a line in the book where one of Holden's friends tells him '...everything feels peripheral..' I mean, that is such a truth of teenage years. (Or maybe even later.)

Oh..and Salman Rushdie is beautiful! Come on! :-)

20 November, 2007 21:40  
Blogger anumita said...

i finally did the tag!

23 November, 2007 01:14  
Blogger Mukta Raut said...

hey! turns out the tag does need more time and effort than I had bargained for. Will definitely get around to it soon. :-)

27 November, 2007 06:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely enjoyed reading this, Nev. But shoot for Salman? That's stretching things... Rest all, I bow to you.

29 November, 2007 20:46  
Blogger Mansi Trivedi said...

Just found you. Good stuff.

05 February, 2008 13:01  
Blogger Mansi Trivedi said...

But isnt it been a while since you have written? I am a planner in advertising in US.
Hows it like in India?

05 February, 2008 14:02  
Blogger fiddlesticks said...

Not in your social circle. Liked it all the same :) Cheers!

26 March, 2009 11:47  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home